Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Getting there

For the record, (all calculations assume 30 seconds per set except for Week 3, Day 1 - where I used 15 seconds)

Week 3 Day 1 - 80 pushups in 6 minutes
Week 3 Day 3 - 120 push ups in 10 minutes

Week 4 Day 1 - 120 pushups in 6 minutes
Week 4 Day 3 - 160 pushups in 10 minutes

Week 5 Group 2 Day 1 - 140 pushups in 6 mins.
Week 5 Day 2 - 160 pushups in 10 minutes
Week 5 Day 3 - 172 pushups in 10 minutes

So despite some concern to the contrary, I AM getting stronger, if only because I can now do quite a few more push ups than I did before in the same time. I still couldn't get anywhere near 100, and I don't feel like I could do that many more pushups consecutively than I could before, but I CAN do more in the same time, so that's the right direction.

I know one of the best ways to increase body weight exercise challenges, like pull ups, push ups etc. is to decrease the time between the same sets. In other words, if you do 10, rest 15 seconds, then do 10 more, to up the challenge do 10, rest 12 seconds, do 10 more. This is pretty much what this is doing. The workout keeps your rest times the same, but adds a few more pushups. Same concept.

A month ago (Christmas time) 80 push ups in 6 minutes was somewhat of a challenge - in fact I failed it the first time around, only getting 21 of my final 28 - and now I'm doing 140 in roughly the same time. That's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment