Are artists naturally unhappy people? Does unhappiness in some way make you a better artist? And if I'm happy, what does that say about me and my chances of being a published artist?
I vote for no, no, nothing.
Not a very deep post, I grant you. But let me explain. I might or might not be getting sick. My back is certainly killing me for no apparent reason. I'm trying to write; alot (Update: and not all that successfully).
So, no, not very deep. But the source material is good, so you should check it out.
Hmmm, I think I have to agree with the source material. I don't think artistic people have to be unhappy (although it's a common misperception, especially among high schoolers), but I think they have a tendency to be more emotive, in tune, or radical, which can make them seem like they are unhappy as they strive for perfection.
ReplyDeleteAnd even if artists do tend to be unhappy, I think it's like a rhombus and square. Artists tend to be unhappy people, but unhappy people are necessarily artists, and unhappiness isn't a requirement of being an artist.
I know I'm most productive when happy or content. On the other hand, if I want to write something that's dark and brooding, sometimes it helps to have a bit of that in my head as well.