Monday, May 18, 2009

CDC's Frieden to fry fast food?

I'm not a huge purchaser of fast food. But I like me some Arby's Roast Burger.

Meanwhile, Slate.com reports that the new CDC, despite his introduction as a swine flu expert*, actually is the man behind trans fat bans and the attack on salt. Look, trans fats and salt in large quantities probably aren't good for you. But trans fat was industries reaction to the horrors of sat fats. And salt is just yummy.

I know there is some question about food, obesity and epidemics, but I think the links are weak. What's more, I'm not sure the links mean we should attack fast food establishments. Lazy overeaters who are overweight aren't suddenly going to be thin and munching celery just because Frieden flunked Friendly, or 'Bama bans BK .

I'm a big boy and can pick my food for myself; thank you very much.

Whole thing here.

* Unless this sickness I seem to be coming down with is swine flu, has there ever been a more overblown epidemic? Oh, right. Avian flu.

2 comments:

  1. As I munch a bagel bathed in butter...

    I agree. First off, like..so few people have gotten swine flu compared to normal flu...everyone needs to chill.

    Second, while I don't think people should eat unhealthy foods all the time, it is their option. I also don't think people should smoke, but if they want to kill themselves, whatever. On the other hand, if they end up being cared for by the government and I pay their medical expenses...how fair is that? I think we know the solution to that though...and it's not banning trans fats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an tradeoff, anyway. Yes, a 70-year-old smoker and a 70-year-old obese person probably require more medical care than a standard 70 year old. BUT, if SM & O die @ 55 and 55 of heart attack, and ST lives to 90 with 10 years of ailments, have we saved ANYTHING, or have we actually cost ourselves money? Its highly possible that ST is actually MORE expensive to care for than SM or O, since ST will likely end up in a nursing home costing tens of thousands of dollars per day.

    The entire math is corrupted by government's medical care. If its private insurance, then that's the bargain you made when you voluntarily signed up - you agreed to average the high cost folks with the low cost to protect yourself from being in Group A. Its the same with Auto insurance. Some drivers are idiots, or have been in like 5 accidents, like me. That doesn't mean I shouldn't be allowed to drive.

    Once the govt. is involved though the "voluntary" goes out the door, making the equation tougher, because now I'm having to essentially subsidize your bad habit.

    That doesn't even factor in the fact that, for all its talk otherwise and forcing corporations into advertising campaigns, government effectively subsidizes, protects and promotes tobacco farmers and thus cigarette use.

    ReplyDelete