Political scientists Neil Malhotra and Yotam Margalit have an article describing survey data showing that some 25% of [non-Jewish] Americans believe that "the Jews" deserve at least "a moderate amount" or "a great deal" of blame for the current economic crisis. Some 32% of self-identified Democrats and 18% of Republicans take that view. Similar results were obtained in a recent survey of opinion in several European nations.The 25% figure is perplexing enough. Though I know enough people who are convinced of one conspiracy (oil, 9/11, et al.) or another to believe it. The author's "rational political ignorance" explains some of it, I guess. Though you would think the more likely target would be bankers or Wall Street. I guess some could have the religion and the career tied together.
What REALLY perplexes me is the 32% number from democrats. I realize this isn't only the leaders of the party; it probably includes many of the "rational ignorance" group, but still. This is the Democrats. I mean, I expect this kind of thing from the gay-hating Republicans. But Democrats?
I've always had an inkling that maybe the Dems lacked some fundamental understanding about how the economy worked and that their policies often arose from that. Chalk it up to the "Road to Hell ..." thing. This kind of confirms it.
Relatedly: Good news on the gay marriage front.
On an unrelated note: I've written 3 times this week. Hope to extend it to 4 tonight. Outside chance at 5. I'm hoping for similar output next week, then a slow down. Four or five more next week should really push me very close to my goal and it gives me time to add pieces if need be.
Mmm, your link is broken on the gay marriage front.
ReplyDeleteAs for the Jews...don't you know that the Jews control the banks and thus if it's the banks' fault then it's the Jews' fault. Perfect sense.
That was sarcasm at the end, if you missed it.