I'd like to think this is a little more intellectual. A little more thought out. A lot more focused. A little less mundane, even if its only a "little less." Maybe a hair professional. But the reality is, I could post a Facebook update with just about everything I post here. Except it would have readers.
Narcissism (n):
"inordinate fascination with oneself; excessive self-love; vanity."Weighing in on the non-narcissistic side: Few readers. Who would construe this tiny, tiny pixel on the face of the internet as vain? Weighing in on the narcissistic side: Few readers, its of little import (yet!) and yet I keep at it the self-important posts, don't I? It's all me, all the time. I mean, who but a narcissist would do this with so few readers without income or fame from it?
The blog certainly could be considered to demonstrate an inordinate fascination with myself. But what exactly is inordinate. If I was alone out here in the interGoogle, I might say "yeah, this is a pretty vain process and inordinately about me." But since millions of us are blogging; many with as little notice as I've garnered; is it all that inordinate, comparitevely? Does it matter that I have few readers?
As Helen Popkin said in OMG, Shut up about twitter already:
"Baby fingers fit in light sockets. Should you put them there?"
I'm pretty sure she's suggesting you don't. And while her point is that just because you can post by-the-second updates on twitter, you probably shouldn't. So, just because I can blog, does that mean I should? So blogger and its millions of bloggerites exist, does that mean its not narcissistic of me to blog?
One could argue that since a large portion of the world does blog, that if you were to not blog because it is "narcissistic" then you'd become an "elitist" because you'd think you're better than all those people (like me) who do blog still :)
ReplyDeleteOn a side note, I don't think it's narcissistic at all. Well a little, but most things humans do are. If you did it because OMG YOU'RE SO WONDERFUL AND EVERYONE SHOULD READ ABOUT IT then that'd be another story. But you're just sharing your thoughts for people who may or may not want to read them.