Friday, March 20, 2009

What I'm drinking now


Alright. Time to take a break from the anger and vitriol and take a deep breath. In other words - its tea time!

I'm currently enjoying a cup of Fujian Baroque, a pretty full flavor tea. Malty with a chocolatey aftertaste that is just great. I have this, or Irish breakfast, in the morning.

It's Dragonwell in the afternoon. It's definitely a green, but its more subtle, less grassy than some. Has a bit of a smokiness that, for its price, I'm not sure I'm wild about. Still, the leaves are as flat as those of Sencha, but much, much wider. Its interesting, and it makes scooping up the tea something of an adventure. Casablanca twist is pretty minty, and I rely on that pretty much solely as an after dinner drink. Not pictured is Sencha Overture. A grassy green that is my everyday tea at work.

Tea is a perfect time filler, like today when I'm waiting for my appointment to have my stitches taken out. I did a limited workout Wednesday - nothing that required gripping, just some push ups and leg work. Thursday the tingling was really down and I had a lot more movement in my thumb. Today its even better. I'm starting to be able to grip things. That's a nice change after a week and a half of walking around - as Renee likes to say - like Bob Dole.

I finished Curious Minds. After the last essay, as Pink Floyd said, "I'd thought I'd something more to say." Turns out that after going back to it, I really didn't. I'm currently zooming through David Sedaris' book "Me talk pretty one day."

And I've written 25 "parts" - they aren't really chapters, I'm not writing a 50 chapter book - in my book. Two this week alone. I'm guessing that's about 28,000 words, give or take - half way. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the chunnel. Instead of 50 different things to write about and directions to go, the plot is narrowing. Threads are wrapping up. Conclusions are being reached. The path ahead is clearer. The pinpoint of light that I can see is inspiring me to write more, but some of the parts left are the harder pieces: Fill in stuff - the stuff that binds the "big" pieces I could see to each other. The minutea that makes it all flow and connect.

July. It took me Dec/Jan/Feb. to get here, plus parts of Nov./Mar, so I'm guessing July is when I finish the draft. I'm shooting for earlier. Not sure how long it will take to make it a manuscript - I will need to read through it, edit it, & then find some poor sap to read through it and provide thoughts. Then its a manuscript and I can start on Project II, already in progress (though on a 10-year commercial break).

BONUS - an interesting post from reason.com on the world after newspapers & an interesting piece on how newspapers are still profitable, just at a more "normal" 10% rate, rather than the 20% to 30% rate they have been. Oh, and 85% of their costs are tied up in paper, ink, trucks etc. In other words, all the "hard copy" stuff. In other words, even on greatly reduced advertising income an online-only paper could pay relatively healthy staff.

2 comments:

  1. 1 on tea: I tried the Fujian Baroque you gave me and I can agree to the "chocolately" aftertaste. I wouldn't say it necessarily TASTES like chocolate, but it definitely leaves the impression that one just ate chocolate. It was pleasant and had a smooth ending, which I like. My love of black teas continues.

    2 on writing: "then find some poor sap to read through it and provide thoughts"...I'm glad you think so highly of me. In other news, I have faith that you'll reach your July goal. Or at least by my birthday.

    3 on reading: My reading has pretty much failed recently in all aspects of life. I hope you're enjoying Sedaris, and I'm glad you seemed to enjoy "Curious Minds," even if it left you nothing to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On reading ... I enjoyed CM immensly. After reading the last essay I thought I had something I wanted to blog about, but later realized I didn't feel as strongly as I thought. Its one of the things I notice as I age: Sometimes coming back to something, it just doesn't seem as important.

    on writing ... We go on vaca July 18 or some such. My goal is to have the draft copy by then. Otherwise, the week off, and week catching up, plus summer out door work, which is exhausting, will doom the project to being finished by no earlier than your B-day. Nope. Done by Vaca. Though I have to start writing again for that to occur. But I'm going to post about that, so I'll leave it alone.

    "some poor sap." That's a comment more about having to read my stuff than you in particular.

    ReplyDelete