Sunday, July 12, 2009

What I'm excited about RIGHT NOW.

Other than Taco Bell, which is a constant source of excitement.

I was asked recently, and I'm paraphrasing here, how I can stand to follow politics as closely as I do without letting the craziness drive me crazy.

Without sounding too much like a crazy mofo: Seasteading. (Might be evidence that I've actually just gone crazy.)

Granted, the idea of a new nation, even on (or under) the seas, has been tried, and tried, and tried, and failed. Hell, it's even been one the topic of one of my fav video games.

The case for optimism for this particular project (and a pretty good read) from reason.com.

Its complicated and consequently a long way off. And the one time I was on a big boat in the ocean, I absolutely hated it. That was a combination of sea sickness and cramped quarters. Some of the seasteading projects would seemingly eliminate the first. The second I'm probably stuck with.

Does it seem like this came out of nowhere? It really didn't. I've been trying to convince the wife that a houseboat would be a romantic, cheap, rising-ocean protected way to live for more than a year now. Though since temperatures haven't risen in a decade I'm not sure how much rising is arising.

I could write while we floated up and down the coast. Float down to Florida in teh winter, back up North in the summer. Since you just park in the ocean, there's no rent, except for maybe a dock fee at a "home base." Perpetual ocean front property. Ever changing scenery. All the fishing and swimming and sunning you like. And I'm sure family and friends would just hate having someone with a vacation home they could visit.

Anyway, I was proudly early member of the Free State Project. So there.

(Semi) PERMANENT DISCLAIMER: Tobacco and cigarettes are now regulated by the FDA (Food & Drug Admin). The legislation allowing this expressly prohibits the companies from advertising, in any way, that they are infact regulated by the FDA. I have a problem with the whole "we will regulate you, but you can't tell any one we are" thing, so I'll be posting this disclaimer with every post (when/if I remember) to make a point.

No comments:

Post a Comment