Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Hungry for some Pansies - Part II

It's the summer doldrums.

And then lightening strikes.

It comes in the form of two new interests. I had off Friday and began listening to the Pansy Division CD I had been given. I'm about half way through now, having listened to most of the first half twice. There are a couple of real gems on the CD. The first song in particular has gotten 3 listens, just because I find it so funny. The James Bondage song is a winner, as well. I like the song - and I'm going to mess up the name/topic - about the beautiful boy who is the singer's dream guy, as well. But that first one about - love love love love love, blahblahblahblahblah cause its all about sex sex sex sex sex- is a classic.

And I'm reading Hunger Games. Its a book I first heard about in a Slate.com headline (but didn't read the story or anything about it). Then I saw a post on Facebook about it. So I picked up a copy at Target. Its fantastic. A little fatalistic, a lot violent, but an awesome read. Very well plotted. It's kind of 1984 meets Lord of the Flies, in a way. I haven't been reading much; I just haven't had the strength. But I'm reading away at 50 pages per day on this and loving it. That might not seem like a lot to you, but I've had a 60 birthday party to prep for at my house - and clean up from - and 100 things going on. And like I said, I've had trouble reading of late. But this book - I hate to put the book down. I find myself wanting to get to the next page, next event; only then I'm sad that I've read so far.

The book is the first in a trilogy that I definitely plan to read.

4 comments:

  1. I've sent you a track listing...the song titles are pretty evident. the first one on the CD is "Luv, Luv, Luv," which is also one of my favorites. Most of the songs listed are favorites of mine (some I put on just to show variety). I'm glad you're enjoying what you've heard so far.

    You're tempting me to put Hunger Games on my list of "to-reads", but it's rather long already. I'll wait til you're done and hear the full report (and maybe borrow your copy :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome to borrow my copy when I'm finished. I don't think you'll find the reading a long project. The book isn't that long (without it at hand I'm going to say 360-400 pages of biggish type) and it reads super fast. You'd probably finish in half a day of reading.

    I can only imagine what some people think. This big bald guy wearing a brightly colored shirt driving a huge Tundra down the road, windows open, stereo blaring out a song about fun holes, gay sex and boyfriends - and singing along to some!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I almost forgot... One thing I'm loving about Pansy Division: they are very melodic. I think. I'm not a great evaluator of music, but I've been told I tend toward melodic music. Def Leppard is considered an incredibly melodic rock band and most of my favorites line up in that melodic sound; or so I'm told.

    Sometimes I feel like punk music, and underground "non-radio" music in general tries to be anything but melodic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, much of punk is the opposite of melodic (as a general note), at least what I've heard. I think you and I have that in common, at least, because their tunes are what first got me hooked, along with their lyrics. But yeah, I think that's kind of the "pop" part of their "pop punk." Punk I think is supposed to be "startling" and "edgy" and I think many do it by jarring music.

    It's so much easier to be a girl and sing along, because if I'm singing, they see a girl singing about her boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete