Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I told you so

It happened faster than I thought, but I have to say I told you so.

The board/commission that will consider banning large sodas is also making noise regarding popcorn and milk-based drinks such as milkshakes and various coffees.

First they came for cigarettes, then candy bars, then soda, then coffee, then popcorn, then ... [hey, you know what has a lot calories, pizza, burgers, hotdogs are a nutritional wasteland almost on par with soda, and also: food in general].

I for one would rather enjoy a nice unhealthy food every now and again and die 5 years earlier than not enjoy the food and die 5 years later, probably after a long, insidious disease that deprives me of every enjoyable part of life.  Life is to be enjoyed, not just lived.

Hopefully by the time pizza is illegal, assisted suicide will be legal.

UPDATE: I changed the last sentence.

2 comments:

  1. If they spent as much money on education and promoting eating healthy foods (as they are on this issue), I bet this ban wouldn't even be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Government wants to do all this food-related stuff suddenly, yet emerging evidence suggests that for years its own guidelines promoted obesity (6-11 servings of bread, cereal, rice & pasta? I'm guessing 11 servings of white rice and white bread spike blood sugar as much as a 32oz soda) and even excusing that it has been serving junk in its school lunch program for years.

    Another unintended consequence of government intervention: its usually easier to make a new rule than change an existing one. So we ban soda, rather than change school lunches or stop subsidies to corn growers that make the crop artificially more profitable, causing more of it to be grown, thus making it cheaper.

    ReplyDelete