So two Mondays ago, Duke had an appointment to see his surgeon because his repaired knee was bothering him. He had begun limping again and really favoring the knee and an X-ray showed advancing arthritis.
So the surgeon took out the titanium staples (which had been pulled out of place) and elastic bands (one of which ripped) he installed last year. The hope being that the foreign bodies were bothering the knee. The knee was now supported by scar tissue so it was fine.
Or at least it was until Duke tore out or overworked the stitched area. That was a fun find: We came down to go to dinner Friday night to find blood on the floor. No problem, quick trip to the vet, one stitch and some liquid skin and its all fixed up.
Till next morning, when I come down to blood soaked fur below the wound. So I schedule an afternoon appointment.
And good thing I did, because by the time I got Duke there, the wound, all 3 or so inches of it, had opened up and no stitches held it closed. You could see into his leg. If you know how much I love my dog, you know it was kind of traumatic. Kind of.
So that's where we've been over the last week or so. The stitches come out early next week, at which time, hopefully, this ordeal will be over.
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear about his trauma! I hope everything goes smoothly from here on out. He was doing so well~!
ReplyDeleteHe's being crated and he's on sedatives to keep him controlled. As the Vet says, he needs decaff.
ReplyDelete