Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Adventures of Tea Man

I may not be doing the "tea" thing during Lent, but that doesn't mean its not still on the front of my mind. Its in my thoughts even more now, perhaps.

So this Inquirer article about the trend of men drinking tea caught my eye.

Admittedly, I've - at different times - been squimish about my love of tea. The whole doily, pink tea houses, flower and fleur-de-lis & hen teapot, old blue-haired ladies with pinkies outstretched stereotype made me somewhat uncomfortable.

So I smiled two weeks ago when a male character from my favorite show - Lost - asked for Earl Grey tea, and was greeted by another male character with the reply "ah, a gentleman's drink." The first character is alternatively butch and a whiner, and the second went from one of the best acted creepy-evil characters of all time to a neutered follower, but you can't have everything, can you?

Then I smiled even larger at the Inky article.

So imagine my smile at following the Inky story to TeaGuySpeaks (just google it - I'm not providing a link) . Here. And then imagine it widened to Cheshire Cat-sized proportions when I followed that link down the rabbit hole to steepster.com. Where I promptly signed up quicker than the Mad Hater went mad. (How quick was that, do you think? - Cause I signed up right away, so if it was a slow, gradual dissent into madness than my point is kinda ruined) Man I wish I had created a website that could be described as "one of the liveliest tea communities on the web."

Heck, I'll settle for this admittedly awesome website (and humble!), which might as well be a straight rip off of my original song and dance. You just have to imagine mine an octave higher and with one more assemble. Without, you know, the work, advertising or risk that went into something like that.

I'm kinda just hoping my combination of an ounce of dry wit, pound of variety and half teaspoon of talent makes this blog take off one day. Then I'll worry about making it lively. Though I guess that's kinda like building a cart without considering the possibility affordability of actually buying purchasing a horse, but whatever - its how I'm going about it.

Anyway, back to tea. So steepster.com will let you rate teas, put a wish list together and see real-time reviews by other tea drinkers. It's kind of the facebook of tea.

Meanwhile, back in Wonderland, I calculate its only another 792 768 hours until I can have a cup of tea. Man in the sky that seems like a long time.

3 comments:

  1. Steepster seems like a grand idea, but I'm inherently lazy, so I won't be joining.

    But I will be drinking a cup of tea..hmm..what to have, what to have...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? I don't know that I'd describe you as lazy.

    Most times it seems like you have too much to do. Or maybe you're just dressing up nothing in pretty dresses and giving it a beauty treatment for the outside world. Girls can be tricky that way. Maybe that holds for laziness as well.

    We have my B-day in a month so it would seem silly before then, but think about maybe getting together sometime in the Spring. Maybe that sushi buffet I mentioned if lunch is doable or That Thai Place, if not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not really lazy..but I am. If I don't plan for me to do things (like make lists and all) then I won't and the day gets wasted.

    Lunch in the Spring sounds good. We can work it out after your birthday, because March is hella busy for me in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete