Someone recently got me thinking about secrets and why we keep them.
I thought I might have some really good post, but I'm afraid all I have is regurgitated knowledge: We keep secrets because the secret in question is either A) socially unacceptable or B) provides a window into ourself that we don't want others to see.
B is probably sometimes a corrallary of A, but sometimes it a stand alone reason.
Sorry, that's all I've got. Kinda anticlimatic, I know.
That was a horrible let down :(
ReplyDeleteSomething of relevance happened at Group this week: We were talking about hiding weakness (and then secrets) and the one woman mentioned that she doesn't really have any secrets or hidden weaknesses, she is pretty much an open book. She definitely seems an open book, and I got to wondering about different people and the secrets we have.
Does it just mean that we have darker pasts? Or does it mean that we're not willing to share with those who know us? Just something to consider.